Pumpkin Salted Caramel Cupcakes
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour 40 Minutes
A spiced pumpkin cupcake topped with salted caramel frosting, caramel chocolate, pecans and more caramel is the perfect season treat.
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Super Moist™ yellow cake mix
- 1 cup Pure Pumpkin (from 15 oz can)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 containers Betty Crocker™ Rich & Creamy vanilla frosting
- 1/2 cup salted caramel sauce
- Caramel chocolates
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/4 cup salted caramel sauce
- Coarse sea salt, if desired
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans). Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.
- In large bowl, beat cake mix, pumpkin, water, oil, eggs, and pumpkin pie spice with electric mixer on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups (about two-thirds full).
- Bake 14 to 19 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove from pans to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- In medium bowl ,mix frosting and 1/2 cup caramel sauce with spoon until well blended. Spoon frosting into large resealable freezer plastic bag; partially seal. Cut off bottom corner of bag. Pipe frosting on outside edge of cupcake and spiraling up toward center. Decorate with caramel chocolate pieces and 1 teaspoon pecans. Repeat steps to frost and decorate with each cupcake.
- When ready to serve, drizzle 1/4 cup caramel sauce on cupcakes and sprinkle with sea salt, if desired. Store loosely covered at room temperature.
- To toast pecans, heat the oven to 350°F. Spread nuts in an ungreased shallow pan. Bake uncovered 6 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until light brown.
- The frosting in this recipe sets up quickly - top with caramel chocolate pieces and nuts after piping each cupcake.
- You can freeze leftover pumpkin in an airtight container for your favorite recipes. Just thaw and stir before adding.