Chocolate Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Center Surprise
Prep Time: 35 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
Chocolate cupcakes get a fun upgrade with a gooey-sweet salted-caramel center.
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Super Moist™ devil’s food cake mix
- Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
- 18 salted caramels, unwrapped (from 7-oz bag)
- 2 containers (12 oz each) Betty Crocker™ Whipped chocolate ready-to-spread frosting
- 6 small pretzel twists, coarsely crushed
- Heat oven to 350°F. Place paper baking cup in each of 18 regular-size muffin cups. Make cake batter as directed on box. Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full. Place caramel onto center of batter in each cup; press caramel into batter just until covered.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until tops spring back when touched lightly in center. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove from pans to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Place frosting in decorating bag fitted with round tip #20. Starting at outer edge of cupcakes, pipe frosting in spiral pattern, gradually elevating to a peak in center; garnish with pretzels.
- If you do not have a decorating bag, you can use a resealable freezer or food-storage plastic bag. Simply snip a small opening at one bottom corner of the bag before piping frosting.
- If you cannot find salted caramels, you can substitute regular caramels and sprinkle a small amount of fleur de sel sea salt or coarse sea salt on top of each.