Bananas Foster Cupcakes
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
Caramel filling and rum-buttercream frosting transform yellow cake mix into a decadent banana foster cupcake dessert.
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Super Moist™ yellow cake mix
- 1 ¼ cups water
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup mashed very ripe bananas (2 medium)
- ½ teaspoon rum extract
- ¾ cup dulce de leche (from 13.4-oz can)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- ¾ teaspoon rum extract
- Yellow food coloring, if desired
- Heat oven to 350°F. Place paper baking cup in each of 30 regular-size muffin cups.
- Make Cupcakes. In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, oil and eggs with electric mixer on low speed 1 minute. Add bananas and rum extract; beat on medium speed until combined, about 30 seconds. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full.
- Bake 18 to 23 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cupcakes comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove from pans to cooling rack. Cool completely before filling and frosting, about 30 minutes.
- In center of each cooled cupcake, cut out a cone shape 3/4 inch in diameter on top by 3/4 inch deep, using a sharp paring knife. Cut off pointed end of each cone, reserving tops. Fill each cavity with about 1 teaspoon dulce de leche; cover with reserved tops, pressing in lightly.
- Make Rum-Buttercream Frosting. In large bowl, beat butter with electric mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar slowly, beating on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 1 minute or until incorporated. Add 2 tablespoons milk and 3/4 teaspoon rum extract, beating until light and fluffy. Add a few drops food coloring at a time, beating between additions, until desired color is achieved. (If frosting is too thick, beat in remaining 1 tablespoon milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until desired consistency.)
- In decorating bag fitted with your choice of decorating tip, place frosting; pipe onto tops of cupcakes. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve. Store in refrigerator.